Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline


For those of you who know me, you know I can't stand legal thrillers. Sorry, I do not think John Grisham is a god. But...Lisa Scottoline writes the best legal books I've ever liked. Many of her books are about an all female law firm, and this was one of those. Mary DeNunzio is hired by that girl from high school. You know that girl, maybe you were that girl. She was popular, she wore tight sweaters, she smoked under the bleachers, and she hated you, for some reason. Anyways, Mary is hired by this girl to help her get out of an abusive relationship with...a guy who Mary used to date about 15 years ago, who the girl has been dating/living with ever since. He is now a fixture in the local mob scene and a drug dealer to boot.

Mary has a hard time reconciling what she knows of this guy with what the girl is telling her, but the girl is genuinely afraid for her life and she has documented the abuse. Now, Mary is a good Catholic girl and feels she must help no matter what. This leads all sorts of interesting places. I think I should stop now so I don't give away the entire book. I loved it.

No comments: