Thursday, May 8, 2008

Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman

It took me a while to finish this audio because I've been bouncing back and forth between cars the last couple of weeks. The audio never seemed to be in the car I was in while I wanted to listen.

Anyways, while I have read many books by Faye Kellerman, I had never read any by her husband, Jonathan Kellerman. While they both write murder mysteries, hers center on a police detective and his 2nd wife, who is Jewish. Along with learning a lot about his cases, you learn a lot about the Jewish faith. Jonathan is a trained psychologist, so his main character, Alex Delaware, is a practicing psychologist who consults on police cases when his good friend, Milo, asks him to.

In Compulsion, Milo and Alex get involved in a series of cases that don't seem to have anything to do with each other. The only real correlation is stolen, expensive cars. Not like Lamborghinis and Corvettes, think Bentleys and other cars of that caliber. In one of the cases, a 25+ girl disappears while driving home drunk from the bar one night. In another, a kindly old ex-teacher is viciously knifed to death while getting her paper, by an old man in a blue cap who gets calmly back into a Bentley and drives away. At the same time as these cases, Milo is asked to re-open a 16 yr. old unsolved case of a 15 yr old kid who disappeared while selling magazines door to door.

I think I'll stop with the description there, because if I get too much further into it, I'll start giving things away. This was a really good book. I think I'm going to check out another JK book on audio for my drive home today.

No comments: