Sunday, April 13, 2008

"The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie


Remember how I said that I had to start reading more YA books? Ok, this is one of them. It was a totally excellent book. Unfortunately, I don't think that I can book talk it at school because there are a couple of touchy subjects in here.

Anyways, the gist of it is that this kid, Junior, is 1/2 white and 1/2 Indian and he lives with his family on a reservation. You learn all about the social problems that seem to run amok on reservations. Lots of drinking, and because of it, lots of stupidity. Junior decides that if he wants to have a better life, that he needs to go to school at a nearby (20-30 miles away) non-Indian school. He is ripped on by almost everyone in his tribe for that and his best friend starts to hate him. I'm not going to go into any more of the plot because I don't want to give it away. One of the coolest things about this book is that Junior likes to draw, so the book is filled with his cartoons and sketches that show the things that are happening in his life. If you need a good book for a teenage guy, I would recommend this one, but not if the boy is under 14.

No comments: