Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Hanged Man's Song by John Sandford



I finished this book on audio today. I listened to the Recorded Books Unabridged version. I am not normally a John Sandford fan, but a coupl of weeks ago, I was at my in-laws' house and my father-in-law handed me "The Fool's Run" by John Sandford which is the first Kidd novel. I was kind of intrigued, especially since it is a hacker suspense novel written in 1989. The computer descriptions of that time were quite intriguing, especially since I was 8 when the book came out. Most of the hacking was done via the telephone lines, which seems quite antiquated now. So, back to "The Hanged Man's Song". In all of these Kidd novels, Kidd has a super-hacker friend named Bobby. In this book, Bobby is found murdered and his laptop with all its high-powered secrets is missing. This is both mystifying and bad. Even Bobby's closest friends do not know his real name or where he lives, so how did the bad guy get to him? Also, how much of the information on his laptop could be harmful to his hacker friends. Kidd has the help of his some-time girlfriend, Lu Ellen, and another reoccurring character named John Smith throughout the book. It made me want to stay in my car all day and drive around so I could find out what was happening next.

No comments: