Monday, June 2, 2008

Sheer Abandon by Penny Vincenzi

Ok, so I finally finished my book club book for May. I know, I know, it's June. But, it was a good book nonetheless. I don't have a lot to write since we did discuss it at book club a couple of weeks ago, but I'll give a short synopsis for those of you interested in possibly reading it.

The book starts with three English girls leaving for a year of holiday between high school and college. They meet in the London airport and travel together for a week. They then split ways, agreeing to meet again in a year and see how things are. Life intervenes and they don't meet up after that year. In fact, as one of the girls is on her way back, she delivers a baby in a cleaning closet at the airport and abandons her there. You, as reader, do not know which girl it was.

Fast forward 16 years. The abandoned girl is looking for her mother. We now see the three women and where they are in their lives. One is a doctor with a controlling husband, one is a barrister (lawyer) looking at getting into politics, and one is a journalist for a tabloid (I don't think the English use the word "tabloid" in the same manner that we do). Now, I'll leave the rest to you to find out. I enjoyed the book, although I wished some things had worked out a little differently at the end. Hey, you know I'm an optimist.

No comments: